Treebore
Demi Lich

19 Jan 2012, 09:00 #1

PH, DMG, and MM, in April!
1E AD&D Books

TheRavyn
Lich

19 Jan 2012, 12:40 #2

I wonder exactly how "limited" the quantities will be?
at any rate, kudos to them for helping out with the Gygax memorial fund.
Beyond the Black Gate - Yer Old-School Gaming Blog

My other car is a Flail Snail.

DaveMage
Lich

19 Jan 2012, 13:04 #3

My copies still work so I won't be getting these.

The benefit to the memorial fund is nice, but if I wanted to contribute to the memorial fund I would simply do so.

Sykoholic
Lich

19 Jan 2012, 14:21 #4

One does have to wonder how much of this "noble act" is WotC doing some serious a$$-kissing.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Geleg
Lich

19 Jan 2012, 15:59 #5

although I have no love for WotC, I see this as a good thing. I, too, have perfectly good copies of the originals. ANd yet this move strikes me as possibly representing a test balloon by WotC to gauge exactly (or even vaguely) how 'relevant' the old-school market is, and may thus have repercussions for the design of 5e and/or the future re-release of 1e materials. At least, that's how I choose to interpret it. :-)

so, if i can scrape up the money and find a gamestore near me (that carries the stuff), I'll gladly buy the books to send a message that at least I am still interested in 1e.
Last edited by Geleg on 19 Jan 2012, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Treebore
Demi Lich

19 Jan 2012, 16:45 #6

Yeah, I have at least 2 copies of each, but I will be buying these. This is also to "test the waters", and if the response is profitable enough, they will do more. I do wish they would do a UA, since mine, like everyone elses, is coming apart.

Sykoholic
Lich

19 Jan 2012, 18:17 #7

Hmmm... I hadn't considered the "testing the 1E waters" idea. Valid point... though I would still greatly prefer to just donate directly to the memorial fund rather than give WotC my money.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Mister Frau Blucher
Necromancer

19 Jan 2012, 19:24 #8

Man, still no love for Arneson. Yeah, these are AD&D, and that was pretty much all Gary, but they start off that blurb with a reference to 1974.

But this is kinda cool. Not sure if I can spring for it, as I am behind on FGG stuff, but a nice gesture by WOTC, trial ballon or no.

Still, would it have killed them to at least have done a little "..and the rest!" style acknowledgement of Dave?
NECROMANCER - Mantle Plume School
Programmed adventures for TFT/LAW: http://www.darkcitygames.com/
Free The Beggar's Street Bravos     
Foo foo drinker - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Kobold Curry Chef
Necromancer

19 Jan 2012, 19:43 #9

I figure that if these go well, they may very well reprint other editions, including the original boxed set. I plan to urge them to do so by buying a set. AD&D 1st edition is my favorite incarnation of the game, and the one I would choose to play if I ever got back into the game.

leadjunkie
Type I Demon

19 Jan 2012, 20:13 #10

I have mixed feelings. I am still mad at WotC for pulling all the out of print PDFs. They got away with breaking a contract with me, because they know that little guys like me (us) can't or won't sue them. They distributed the materials electronically with e-tailers that upon purchase by the end user were granted "X" number of downloads. We all lost the downloads we contracted for. They unjustly enriched themselves. I hate the thought of giving them more of my money.

Like Dave if I wanted to donate to the Gygax memorial fund, I would simply do so. Whatever shaving of the coin WotC gives to the fund is not motivation for me. No disrespect intended, but I never worshiped at the alter of Gygax anyway. Perhaps having met Arneson in the early days of his falling out with Gygax prejudiced me.

Curiously, while I played AD&D 1e more than any other edition, in retrospect it is my least favorite edition (excluding 4e which I have never played and have little to no interest in ever playing).

I am skeptically appreciative of the apparent olive branch being extended. I do think it will be good for the OSR. I do think it will be good for retailers. I think it is an opportunity for the young or for those mistrustful of eBay and other such means of acquiring 1e material.

Will the collector in me take the bait... Hmmm?
Games I am...
Judging
- Nothing at the moment Image
Playing - William Flagg's, Zevenalia Campaign (home brew), PFRPG;  Ken Mezger's, Rise of the Rune Lords, PFRPG
"Virtual" Type I Demon ('cuz Yuku's lame)