TTTT - 03/29/07 synopsis and discussion

Discuss ongoing chat adventures and campaigns here!
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Demi Lich

30 Mar 2007, 05:17 #1

On our way back from Benobles we sparred with a chimera. It blasted Muscles and Rognar with fire, but was repeatedly blinded and lightning-scorched, and after the second blinding it decided we weren't worth the trouble and flew off.
We tracked scent to a nearby battle site, where there was also spoor from a draconic critter like a wyvern. We followed its tracks for a few minutes, but decided that we needed to get back to Tegel and returned to the town without further incident.
The next day, we set out for the monastery. Not long after entering, Korothane called out a challenge, and Guy held a windy conversation with them that did not seem to amount to much, other than the fact that they were guarding the place for people that weren't us. We decided to challenge them, and were beset on three sides!
One to the west popped in and out, and delivered a blow to Soot. Another, up stairs, seemed to be the leader, and got in two lucky blows on Rognar before becoming limned in green fire. The third, to the east, was blinded by glittering motes from Rupert and speared by Findor, and decided to retreat hastily.
When we left off, most of the group was in the north room (Soot, Muscles, Rognar, Findor); Korothane is at the west door, and Guy and Rupert are near the foot of the stairs. The stalker at the top of the stairs apparently retreated, as did the one to the east; the western one is outside in the garden, and Korothane just charred it a bit with his first bolt of lightning. Soot has 15 damage; Rognar healed a bit, but still has more. Everyone else I believe is at full health.
Korothane has the following cast: call lightning (1/5 bolts used), listening lorecall (+4 to Listen checks, blindsense to 30 ft. for 50 minutes), barkskin (+2 AC for Korothane/Soot for 50 minutes), and faerie fire on the upstairs stalker (duration 5 minutes).
IIRC Rupert cast a glitterdust and has a see invisibility in effect. Rognar burned a spell for cure moderate wounds. Guy used inspirational boost and is doing bard song actively (+2 hit, damage, saves vs. fear). If anything else is cast/in effect, let me know and I'll post it here.
Author: Mother of all Encounter Tables, Bits of Magicka 1-3

Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Bits of Magicka: Pocket Items - 2008 ENnies Honorable Mention

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Demi Lich

30 Mar 2007, 05:34 #2

There was some discussion about retreating, and thought we should look over our options here.
Korothane is in favor of staying, at least a little longer. Two have been made visible (Korothane can pinpoint them within 30 feet, his faerie fire lasts 5 minutes, and he has another such memorized plus two scrolls). Rupert has 2 more glitterdusts. He'd favor bunkering into the north room, healing Soot and Rognar while we have a little breathing room (between Rognar, Findor, and Muscle's potion we should have Rognar back to full/near full in one round; one cure moderate should help Soot significantly).
The regular stalkers have about +10 to hit, and the leader has +14. Right now Findor and Soot both have AC 24. That means they need a 14 or 10 to hit each time. What can we do to improve these odds?
First, if we can force them into a constrained space (e.g., a doorway), they'll have -4 to hit and AC from squeezing. With their 10 foot reach, that may be tough.
I believe Findor has a prayer spell memorized, which would give them -1 to hit and damage. He has a shield of faith, but may have already cast it. If not, or if Rognar has that, it could boost the AC of Rognar or Soot to 26! Looks like Findor also has a spiritual weapon he could use on one. And if we get another glitterdust off on one in melee, the blindness penalty is pretty severe.
What we need to try to do is take these guys on one at a time, ideally by blinding it with glitterdust then pounding on it from two or three of us. Then we heal any wounds and go after another.
For example, take the one that's spring attacking. What if we had someone ready an action to slam the door shut when it came inside? We'd cut off its retreat and hammer it before it could flee in another direction. It would help if we had readied actions like glitterdust, charging, etc.
They are using better tactics this time, but are in separate parts of the complex, and may have a bit of trouble coordinating their efforts. Also, we could try infuriating one or more...maybe Guy could use his Auran and a Diplomacy or Bluff check or the like to get one to come after us, maybe lure it into the north room and hit it from all sides. That might be tricky, since they don't seem to be idiots, but we might be able to do something along these lines.
We could have guy secure the east door while Rognar/Soot are healed, and the others set up, then the next time the outdoor one pops in, we seal it in and have our way with it!
As for the one upstairs, I suspect it may try to outflank us by going outside and heading to the north door. The people in the north room should be aware of that, and either spike the door leading outside shut, or head back into the central hall with the stairs and shut the nearer door.

Retreating is of course an option. I still think we can handle these, but if the majority disagrees (or some insist on leaving no matter what the group decides), at the very least we need to take a round first to heal wounds, since Rognar is bad enough off that one more blow might finish him.
We'd also have to decide on how to take this on later. Other than simply coming back as higher-level PCs, I don't see how tactically we can do much that's different. Invisible stalkers have pretty good Spot/Listen abilities, so sending someone in invisible seems pointless. They do like to lurk in those outer towers, but I suspect if we corner one there it'll just flee to the main building and alert the others.
What do you guys think?

DestyNova1
Lich

30 Mar 2007, 18:18 #3

Well. Lets hole up in the main room and then heal. Then lets try the stairs again. Korothane could try sensing the Stalkers if they move to the top of the stairs and faerie fire/glitterdust it once more.

Shinydemon
Ghast

30 Mar 2007, 18:42 #4

My AC is currently 17.
I think you mean Rognar for the AC:24
I guess I'm of two minds on this. I think we could most likely win the day with more planning. Risky but doable. I also think that we could wait a few levels and use a few dismissal spells. However, the argument of "waiting a few levels is hardly heroic nor exciting. I say we leave, rest, and come back with a cohesive plan and execute it.
Just as an example: Before the fight, Rupert casts See invisability,
Findor casts Bulls str and fly on Muscles and longstrider on himself. Rognar buffs himself however he sees fit. We walk in with rupert on point, looking for the bastards. When he sees them, Koro casts farie fire to outline them. Guy starts orating and gives crossbow fire while Muscles,Rognar and Soot harass them in melee. When Rognar needs healing, healing he withdraws to saftey to heal up. All others who need healing find Findor or Guy. Secondary melee support from Findor and Koro. Rupert fills in with magic missles when not spotting Stalkers.
I also think that appointing a tactical leader would be wise. Someone who calls the shots in rough battles. Ragtag brawlers NEVER out-perform a well organized group.

DestyNova1
Lich

31 Mar 2007, 00:40 #5

Flying is a good idea, but i am a bit reluctan to go up and way from the group. Plus, would there be any penalties for fighting in mid-air?

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Demi Lich

31 Mar 2007, 04:17 #6

I'm not aware of any in-air combat penalties. There is a higher ground bonus for attacking from above, which actually favors aerial melee attack.
Having a PC airborne is mainly useful to chase down and kill a badly wounded critter that's fleeing; I would strongly advise against "taking the fight to the enemy" if only one PC can fly, unless it's a mopping up exercise.
Korothane does have an advantage outside in that his call lightning is stronger; however, these stalkers are very nimble, so I'm thinking I may use the other spell to summon something instead. A dire wolf would be a good choice, particularly if we face them inside. A pack of regular wolves is also a possibility. Outside, I could summon a giant eagle or a couple hippogriffs, though again we'd want to avoid splitting up our forces.
The risk of summoning is it only lasts 5 rounds, and takes 1 round to cast, so I'd want to cast it when an enemy is just engaging us, and I don't need to worry about faerie fire. One nice bit: I have the Augment Summoning feat, so my summoned critters get +4 to Str and Con, and I'm finally reaching the point where summoning creatures becomes worthwhile in battle.
Another nice thing: a summoned critter gives the stalkers an additional foe to worry about, and if they attack the summoned critter, that's attacks not being directed at a PC.

DestyNova1
Lich

31 Mar 2007, 05:00 #7

And summonings could eat up AoOs and allow our fighters to get in close.

kenmckinney
Lich

31 Mar 2007, 07:14 #8

Rupert thinks that it's a mistake to think of this endeavor solely in terms of killing the stalkers. Doing so will be very difficult for us, since they are faster than us and can fly, while we have few options for engaging creatures at range.
We need to concentrate on holding off the stalkers while we find this thing that we are looking for. Once we find it, the stalkers will probably be forced by the conditions of their binding to fight us to the death. If not, we can just leave; it's pretty clear that they can't leave the general area of the monastery.
Probably we should move in a tight group through the monastery , with Rupert on point looking for stalkers and traps , korothane ready to cast faerie fire when rupert points one out, muscles and soot ready to pounce on illuminated stalkers, and our clerics ready to heal anyone who takes damage. Guy can be helping look for whatever item it is that we're seeking, while singing and taking potshots with his crossbow.
Ken

Damien the Bloodfeaster
Demi Lich

31 Mar 2007, 16:20 #9

It's an interesting strategy you point out, Ken. If the complex is as small as it appears, it should be feasible. My suspicion is that what we're looking for is on the 2nd floor, since that's the area the leader was guarding.
If we do it this way, we'll need to hustle, since we don't want to spend so much time searching that the critters have a chance to flee, let the faerie fire fade away, then return.

Rooksarii
Vampire

03 Apr 2007, 05:13 #10

Well, Guy tried the diplomacy route, with obvious results. Not to glean too much out of game, but from what he heard, there was definately a leader, and 3 subordinate "voices" before he mentioned that things were "getting into position". Figure I'd at least save fleshing that out during the game.
Well, I think we at least owe it to the characters to press the offensive on the most wounded stalker (the one to the east Korothane just zapped). At our disposal are 2 wands of magic missle (Rupert's and the one Guy has on his belt). I would wager that it is best for someone other than Rupert to request it if we choose to use it, as it would spread out the magic missle arsenal (4d4+4 per round aint bad for a no-miss (within range) effect). Guy has +1 crossbow attacks, or a reserve of +3, but he is very crippled if they are in melee. I don't think there is a wellspring of stalkers, so 1 less is one less down the road (unless the "ghosts" that were seen summoned more?).