One-Off Gladiator Game

Discuss ongoing chat adventures and campaigns here!
SgtHulka
Necromancer

30 Jan 2009, 04:55 #1

At sundown the black-cloaked unholy priests of Harmakhis move like shadows through the bustle of Old South Road, march like constables through the threatening silence of Cutpurse Row, and strut like houris down the center of Hedonist Street. Their handbells ring a haunting melody as their lips move silently. Their voices travel magically over the stagnant air, and whisper unpleasantly in the ears of all passers-by:

"In celebration our Overlord's recent victory over the Orcs of the Purple Claw, and in order to temporarily assuage the insatiable appetite of our Dark Lord Harmakhis, the Patriarch, in his infernal wisdom and unholy generosity, is sponsoring a tournament Sine missione, or to the death, two days from this hour. Agents wishing to enter their Gladiators in this banquet of blood need merely paint the fighter's ethnic origin, background, and combat experience onto the Libellus on the Three Temples' wall."

This is a play-by-post, one-off combat game of Gladiatorial Combat set in the City State of the Invincible Overlord and using the venerable Melee rules. Gladiators should be built with 24 points as per typical starting Melee characters, and they will be accepted into the combat on a first-come first-serve basis. They may be equipped with any armor or weapons as per the Melee rules at the link provided above. To avoid the confusion, we will be using the Dex adjustments for armor found at the end of that document: -1 Large Shield, -2 Leather Armor, -3 Chain Armor, -5 Plate Armor. Additionally, Plate Armor only protects 4 hits, not 5 (this is to clarify typos on the site provided above).

Simply post your character's stats, his or her ethnicity and background, and the first eight posters will form the two teams. If there are fewer than eight players, those who are interested may run more than one character.

Remember this is a competitive Wargame -- at least half the characters will die.

We will use the following representation of the City State stadium:

Code: Select all

.................#.#............
..............*.*.#.#...........
.............*.*.*.*.*..........
..........*.*.*.*.*.*.*.........
.........*.*.*.*.*.*.*..........
......*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.........
.....*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*........
..*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.........
.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*............
..*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.............
...*.*.*.*.*.*.*................
..*.*.*.*.*.*.*.................
...*.*.*.*.*....................
....#.#.*.*.....................
.....#.#........................
Each asterisk (*) in the map above represents a hex. Each number (#) represents an entry hex. The two teams will set up at opposing entry hexes and fight to the death. If we can manage to post a turn per day, we can finish the game within a week after it begins.
Last edited by SgtHulka on 31 Jan 2009, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

leadjunkie
Type I Demon

30 Jan 2009, 19:16 #2

STR 9 (1)

DEX 15 (10)

MA 6

Plate Armor (-4 hits), Javelin (1d6-1), Rapier (1d6)

Anon is a Gentleman by circumstance of birth, a duelist by quirk of personality, an expatriate by caprice of society and alive by whim of kismet.

The son of landed Antil gentry, Anon has, until recently, lived a privileged life. He has known calluses of hard work only on his sword hand. He has known
sweat of the brow only in the sword masters studio (and perhaps the private chambers of fine ladies). He has known discipline only in the practiced movement
of the blade. He has known gratitude for these things only in his present circumstance.

Dueling is common, even laudable in Antil society. In fact it is a path to advancement in certain circumstances. It also can be a path to ruin when the
social order is upset. Such was Anon's fortune when his blade took the life of a young noble whose political connection was firmer than his sword arm.

Forced to run for his life, Anon escaped on a merchant ship headed for the City State of the Invincible Overlord. Unceremoniously deposited on the docks,
Anon had to find a way to survive in this hostile city. Fortunately, his one skill is a commodity that is always in demand amongst the competing power brokers
of this city. Unfortunately, his arrogance has forced him to use that skill repeatedly without profit.

Anon has heard tales in the dark allies of an organization called FEAR, a society For the Eradication of Armored Riff-Raff. He is amused by it and
contemptuous of it. Although not his preference, his gentile upbringing has provided him with training in the use of heavy armor and weapons. Anon has taken
to brazenly wearing plate armor in places where he hopes to attract attentions that others would gladly forego. He eagerly seeks an armed confrontation with
FEAR. His peacock strut and the contrast of plate armor and rapier give him a comical appearance that he is completely oblivious to.

The announcement by the priests of Harmakhis (another group he openly scorns) has provided him with a new opportunity.
Last edited by leadjunkie on 04 Mar 2009, 20:37, edited 9 times in total.
Games I am...
Judging
- Nothing at the moment Image
Playing - William Flagg's, Zevenalia Campaign (home brew), PFRPG;  Ken Mezger's, Rise of the Rune Lords, PFRPG
"Virtual" Type I Demon ('cuz Yuku's lame)

Deepcut
Death Knight

30 Jan 2009, 23:47 #3

Frik (& Frack for that matter)

Str 15

Dex 9

MA 10

Pike Axe 2d6+2

Small Shield, slung over shoulder

Frik and Frak are brothers of nearly the same age, although no one knows what that may be. Due to their immense musculature and their distain for armor, they
are often though of as "that brutish Altanian pair." They always seemed inclined to "a bit o' bother." No one knows what ox carried
them to the City State, or for how long they had been there. They just seemed to be near the epicenter of every sucker punch instigated bar brawl that the
City Guard had to respond to. Yet no one ever seemed to be able to bring them to justice, not that any of the guardsmen set on aprehending the duo had any
recollection of the encounter. The trademark being a broken jaw, or if the unlucky guardsman's helmet were defective, a good braining. So being an
efficient and sensible lot, the officers convinced one of their sargeants to ply the boys with drink and sign them up for honest work. Thus began one of the
more oppresive and senselessly violent reigns of the City Guard. Well, the Captain seemed pleased enough with himself, until the boys made a nuisance of some
of the rakish nobility after a late night affair in the courtesan's district. So after a long series of painful explanations to Hygelax's ministers,
he had the same sergeant ply the boys with drink, and convinced them that the Tournament would be easy money. *grin, grin* Now that was easy...or was it?
Last edited by Deepcut on 03 Feb 2009, 03:17, edited 3 times in total.
"...In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing... "

SgtHulka
Necromancer

31 Jan 2009, 03:50 #4

leadjunkie wrote:
Anon has heard tales in the dark allies of an organization called FEAR, a society For the Eradication of Armored Riff-Raff. He is amused by it and
contemptuous of it. Although not his preference, his gentile upbringing has provided him with training in the use of heavy armor and weapons. Anon has taken
to brazenly wearing plate armor in places where he hopes to attract attentions that others would gladly forego. He eagerly seeks an armed confrontation with
FEAR. His peacock strut and the contrast of plate armor and rapier give him a comical appearance that he is completely oblivious to.
You gain kudos for figuring out a way to factor FEAR into your gladiator background. Bravo!

SgtHulka
Necromancer

31 Jan 2009, 03:52 #5

Deepcut wrote: [Place holder]
Frik? Frak? Something entirely new and different? Inquiring minds want to know...

Mister Frau Blucher
Necromancer

31 Jan 2009, 15:33 #6

I am greatly interested, but have never played by post before. I looked around for an intro or primer on the boards here; I am sure I overlooked it. Can
somebody point me to it? If it is merely posting in this thread once a day, how is dice-rolling done? Sorry for the e-incompetence!

Assuming I can figure it out, here is my character:

Borann

ST 11

DX 13 (10)

MA 6

Small Axe D6+2

Chainmail (stops 3)

Small Shield (stops 1)

Borann is of uncertain heritage, having arrived at the City State as a young child, part of an adventuring party's spoils of war. Sold to various masters
before his teenage years, he eventually ended up belonging to a soldier in the 4th Company Barracks. After that soldier was slain in a drunken knife fight, he
was adopted by the rest of the rather undisciplined company, and upon his 16th birthday he was quietly freed. During his latter years in the barracks, he
picked up a degree of martial training.

Two things have kept Borann in the City-state. One is his strange affection for the sprawling bustle of the place, which is the only home he can remember.
Secondly, during a tryst with a mystic houri, paid for by his friends of the 4th company, he was told that his grandfather's bones reside somewhere in the
city-state as an animated skeleton named Bloody Head Rawbones. Borann has resolved to find the skeleton and free it from it's undead service, and perhaps
learn of his unknown heritage.
Last edited by Mister Frau Blucher on 31 Jan 2009, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
NECROMANCER - Mantle Plume School
Programmed adventures for TFT/LAW: http://www.darkcitygames.com/
Free The Beggar's Street Bravos     
Foo foo drinker - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Deepcut
Death Knight

31 Jan 2009, 17:03 #7

SgtHulka wrote:
Deepcut wrote:
[Place holder]
Frik? Frak? Something entirely new and different? Inquiring minds want to know...
Yeah, Frik and Frak worked out pretty well.  Time to take them out for a spin again!  What were their stats?  I dont have them with me.

"...In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing... "

leadjunkie
Type I Demon

31 Jan 2009, 18:40 #8

Go to Invisible Castle (since I know SgtHulks uses that site) and register an account (link in upper right hand
corner).

Once you have registered go to the home page. Just below the title is a navigation bar. Click on Roll Dice.

On the Roll Dice page enter:

Character Name: Borann

Campaign Name: (skip)

Number of Rolls: 1 (the default - should be no need for multiple rolls)

Dice: (see below for example die roll formats)

Notes: a description of what you are doing (i.e. Taking a shot at that Popinjay, Anon with my small axe.)

Click the Roll the Dice button.

Here is an example of the result.

From the result page, cut and paste the URL into your post for this forum. You can keep it simple and just paste in the raw URL like this:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1920163/

or you can be fancy and put in a formatted flavor text link like this:

Anon throws Javelin at Borann (2 hexes) going wide of the mark
(10).

Die rolls are entered in this format: #d#( + / - )# (where 1st # is the number of dice rolled, d is the constant variable for die, 2nd # is the kind of die
(always 6 for melee), + or - (sans the space, slash & parenthesis) if there is a modifier to the die roll, and 3rd # is the value of the modifier if there
is one.

In order to save time, I suggest rolling hits and damage at the same time. If you don't hit the damage roll is ignored. Multiple rolls in the same roll
are separated by a semicolon and a space. In the above example I entered, 3d6; 1d6-1 (hit; damage). You could add in all the modifiers to hit (armor, facing,
wounds, range & other). It seems to me those will be apparent from looking at the map positions and previous turn by turn posts, so the unmodified die
roll should be sufficient. SgtHulka can correct me if he wants it done otherwise.

It's really easier than my verbose description once you have done it a time or two. Post if you have a question.
Last edited by leadjunkie on 31 Jan 2009, 18:46, edited 3 times in total.
Games I am...
Judging
- Nothing at the moment Image
Playing - William Flagg's, Zevenalia Campaign (home brew), PFRPG;  Ken Mezger's, Rise of the Rune Lords, PFRPG
"Virtual" Type I Demon ('cuz Yuku's lame)

SgtHulka
Necromancer

01 Feb 2009, 02:46 #9

Wow, interesting character Frau. It's gonna be disappointing seeing all these guys with interesting backgrounds bleeding to death on the stadium sand.

Leadjunkie's correct on all counts -- especially the part of it sounding a lot more difficult than it is. Most of your rolls will probably just be 3d6;
1d6+2 for your handaxe to hit and damage. I guarantee you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. When we're ready to begin I'll post more
information on how to use the map and stuff, including how to indicate your figure's facing.

Deepcut -- Here are Frik and Frak, but they're built on 26 points so you'll have to shave 2 from each to make them legal gladiators:

Frik and Frak

ST 15 DX 11 MA 10

Pike Axe 2+2 Small Shield (slung)

Frau and Leadjunkie, feel free to create one more character each. Then we'll only need one more player for a 4 on 4 game.

Mister Frau Blucher
Necromancer

01 Feb 2009, 17:25 #10

Hey, LJ, thanks for the detailed info. I actually figured it out and ran a test. I am signed up now, and it indeed seems pretty simple to use. (Also, I was
accepted into the Disciples - thanks for pointing that out. I noticed the Grenadier and Ral Partha groups, too - man, this internet thingy has a ton of cool
crap on it!)

Sarge, you're right about interesting characters bleeding out on the sands, but after LJ put all that background into his character, the gauntlet was
tossed! I'll be more direct with the second character:

Ott

ST 12

DX 12(11)

MA 10

Broadsword 2D6

Large Shield (stops 2)

Ott is a Skandik, shipwrecked several months ago during a gale; he was the only survivor. Rather than immediately returning to his homeland, he has made his
way up the Roglaroon to see the fabled city-state. Upon hearing the supernatural whispering of the dark priests, he felt a compulsion to enter the bloody
contest. In fact, he feels the hands of the gods on him, as if chosen to survive the shipwreck and arrive in time for this battle.

Ott disdains armor, owing to a near-drowning when he was on the cusp of manhood. The large shield can be unwieldy on a longboat, but it is easier to discard
than armor in a disaster; he sees his having survived the shipwreck as confirmation of this outlook.
NECROMANCER - Mantle Plume School
Programmed adventures for TFT/LAW: http://www.darkcitygames.com/
Free The Beggar's Street Bravos     
Foo foo drinker - not that there is anything wrong with that.