Festival of Dagda?

Discuss the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands - our introductory Wilderlands Setting Book.
Soulmage
Wight

21 Nov 2005, 16:51 #1

IMC I'm designing little mechanical effects to go along with the festivals so that they become important to the PCs.
Last night, the party was in town for the festival of Dagda. Incidentally, he's not in the gods section of the gazetteer. I had to bust out my 1st Edition D&DG (with Cthulhu!) to find him.
Anyway, apparently he's the Celtic overgod. He's known as "The Dozen King" and splits himself into many aspects. He also enjoys shapchanging.
So, given his proclivities I decided his festival would be a halloweeny-costume event and that the PCs could earn a point of fame by spending 500gp on a really elaborate costume. (See my Reputation rules below).
But, I was wondering, is there any information anywhere about what the rest of these festivals consist of? It would be nice to be a little ahead of the game.----------------
The Revised Iron Heroes Magic System
The Revised Armiger Class Features
Soulmage's Iron Heroes Character Sheet
The Revised Iron Heroes Armor Table
The Iron Heroes Psionics System
Soulmage's Reputation Rules

Just click "refresh" if you get a page not found error. Wikipedia can be a little twitchy sometimes.

STEEL DREADNOUGHT GAMES

Fast and exciting starship & naval combat!

www.steeldreadnoughtgames.com

DnDChick
Death Knight

21 Nov 2005, 19:15 #2

How about a "black cauldron" ritual?
The villagers put the name of every person who died into a large black cauldron. The high priest of the Dagda draws a name at radom, and that lucky person gets raised for free as a tribute to the Dagda's power to return the dead to life.
He is called "the dozen king" as well, and is known to be a lusty, earthy god. Perhaps you could have an ale-drinking contest. Whoever can put away 12 tankards of ale -- specially brewed for the festival -- without passing out is declared the Dozen King for the week of the festival and has a place of honor for the festivities.
Erica (that chick that helps Scott ... )
Necromancer Games: 3rd edition rules, 1st edition feel!

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!: My game group's website.

Pathfinder: An evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's
oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of
thousands of gamers.
Savage Worlds: Fast! Furious! Fun!

Soulmage
Wight

22 Nov 2005, 16:16 #3

Quote:
The villagers put the name of every person who died into a large black cauldron. The high priest of the Dagda draws a name at radom, and that lucky person gets raised for free as a tribute to the Dagda's power to return the dead to life.
Cool. Except I'm running an Iron Heroes game. The only hope for a character after they've died is that they've accumulated enough glory points to enter Valhalla. There's not returning from the dead. Image
Quote:
He is called "the dozen king" as well, and is known to be a lusty, earthy god. Perhaps you could have an ale-drinking contest. Whoever can put away 12 tankards of ale -- specially brewed for the festival -- without passing out is declared the Dozen King for the week of the festival and has a place of honor for the festivities.
Wow. That's very cool too. Got any ideas for the others?----------------

Just click "refresh" if you get a page not found error. Wikipedia can be a little twitchy sometimes.

STEEL DREADNOUGHT GAMES

DnDChick
Death Knight

22 Nov 2005, 16:27 #4

There could be festivals of male fertility, but depending on the age/maturity level of your group you might just want to mention them in passing without going into detail. Image
Of course, various games of skill and sport would always be popular at such a festival. Feats of strength (maybe a caber-toss style game) and agility, and contests that display martial prowess (knife-throwing, archery etc.) and even mock combats.
Maybe you could adapt some of the rituals and trials of the Fianna.
Quote:
No man was taken until he could defend himself from within a large hole in the ground up to his belt, with only his shield and a length of hazel rod. While nine warriors having nine spears and being a distance of ten furrows away from him let fly at him together. If he let anything past his guard and got hurt he was not accepted.
I'm not sure how IH works, rules-wise, but something like this would eliminate one's Dex bonus to defense. Basically, you'd have to avoid 9 thrown spears "flat footed" and wearing no armor.
Quote:
No man was taken until he had woven his hair into many braids and he was set at a run through the woods, while the ones seeking to wound him were sent after him there having been just one forest bough between them at first. If he was overtaken and wounded he was not allowed entry, If his weapons had quivered in his hand he was not taken, If his hair was disturbed in any way out of its braiding he was not taken. If he cracked a dry stick under his foot as he ran he was not taken. He also had at full speed to jump a branch level with chest and stoop under one level with his knee without breaking stride or else he was not accepted. Also he had to extract a thorn from his foot without pausing in his stride or else he was not taken..
Lots of Move Silently, Jump, Dex, and Survival checks of various difficulties.
Erica (that chick that helps Scott ... )

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!: My game group's website.

Pathfinder: An evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's
oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of
thousands of gamers.
Savage Worlds: Fast! Furious! Fun!

mtbdm
Type I Demon

22 Nov 2005, 17:06 #5

Festivals to priapus could be fun---especially with props. Image MtbDM
Q: MtbDM, what is good in life?
A: To crush the PCs, see their character sheets pile before you, and hear the lamentation of their players.
Bill Haverchuck: He thinks being the Dungeon Master gives him the license to mess with our heads. 
Harris Trinsky: Oh, I'm Sorry. Perhaps I should let you
encounter kittens and grandmas so as not to upset you.

Soulmage
Wight

23 Nov 2005, 15:23 #6

We've got a 50/50 male/female ratio in our group so you'd think that would be a lot of fun for everybody.
However, real world being what it is, it would probably have worked better back when we were all still single.----------------

STEEL DREADNOUGHT GAMES

mtbdm
Type I Demon

23 Nov 2005, 18:24 #7

Who in their right mind is in a relationship with someone who'd be threatened by their spouse's RP character slapping someone or being slapped with a rubber schwance? The more *intimate* details of such a festival can easily be omitted if need be. MtbDM
Q: MtbDM, what is good in life?
A: To crush the PCs, see their character sheets pile before you, and hear the lamentation of their players.
Bill Haverchuck: He thinks being the Dungeon Master gives him the license to mess with our heads. 
Harris Trinsky: Oh, I'm Sorry. Perhaps I should let you
encounter kittens and grandmas so as not to upset you.

Soulmage
Wight

26 Nov 2005, 18:31 #8

I don't think I got my point across. Oh well, probably better dropped anyway.----------------

STEEL DREADNOUGHT GAMES