Classic opposition brainstorm

Talk about the second book by Nate Paul!
MacPhail
Necromancer

27 Apr 2008, 13:51 #1

Hey all-

Regardless of what shape Eamonvale takes in 4E, I'm looking for ideas for short introductory adventures to the setting. Since the setting is so complex and
political, I'd like to offer a simple scenario for each of the three classic adventure archetypes: urban, rural, and delve. The goal is to get parties
moving around in order to get a feel for the setting and meet some of the local encounters. I'm wondering what oppositional factions we do not see enough
of in contemporary D&D... or more importantly, what is likely to be left out of 4E that shouldn't? I'm thinking ratmen and a pestilence clerical
faction for the urban scenario (very Lankhmar-inspired), kobolds with sorcerers for the rural one, and something in a salt mine (we discussed this once in the
Citadel forum) for the delve... maybe salt mephits, but they don't really scream 'old school' for me. Any other ideas?
MacPhail

Dark Mistress
Lich

27 Apr 2008, 15:31 #2

Elves... what? oh right. Um seriously for the rural I don't think fey get used all that much. Perhaps a fey gathering is upset at the city for pushing more
and more into their world and want it stopped.

For urban I have found it is always nice if they are not really "bad guys" so much as just having a agenda they think is for the greater good and
doing what is required to do it. The moral grey bad guys I would like to see more of.

Got nothing on a delve, they are common enough i can't think of anything that is really not used much. Maybe giants ants or some other type of bug.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

For MSG - I am sure you can teach a monkey to scratch his butt, just tell him to watch you. After a couple of hours he should be a master at it.

MacPhail
Necromancer

27 Apr 2008, 16:02 #3

I give elves and the fey lots of love in Incursion. I do like your idea of the moral grey area. I was thinking of something along the lines of a band of
refugee monstrous humanoids (kobolds) looking for a new home and way of life (a religious cult seeking out a realization of their draconic heritage) who are
having all manner of trouble from intolerant humans in the area and have begun to fight back. The party could either eliminate them altogether of negotiate
their safe passage.

Ants would be cool... I remember enjoying a Formian adventure at some point. That could also work for the rural one.
MacPhail

Mithriltooth
Spectre

27 Apr 2008, 16:48 #4

Urban, you can have the PCs run afoul of a thieves guild or a sect of hidden cultists. Anything pretty much goes with rural, goblins, kobolds, brigands, etc.

For the delve.... The Mine is great, maybe they dug too deep and uncovered an Aspis lair, or you can use the ants, etc. Maybe while digging deeper they broke
through a wall of a hidden temple/tomb containing something more sinister like a low powered outsider. Could make for a great web enhancement adventure.

Current NG stuff owned... CoF, ToA, MM, VoLK, HotRM, tGC, DaD, VaL, LCoB, TaD, SoDF, FotWK, CoS, DoL

a.k.a. Sunderstone

Sykoholic
Lich

27 Apr 2008, 18:32 #5

Urban: Various citizens and establishments in the "slum" neighborhood have reported sightings and attacks by swarms of vermin. An investigation leads
the PCs to the lair of an insane druid with a jones for vermin (rats, roaches, spiders, centipedes, etc) who is intent on destroying the "blight upon
nature (the city) and returning the land to it's children".

Rural: An outlying village has lately been suffering from the predations of sheep rustlers. However, when one of the missing sheep is found mutilated, it
becomes obvious that something more sinister is afoot. The PCs track the "killer" to it's lair only to discover it is in fact a very young and
somewhat naive copper dragon that has very little (if any) experience with humans and hasn't quite caught on to the concept of "respect for other
people's property".

Delve: Work at the nearby mine has ceased. Recently, while cutting a new shaft, the miners broke thru into a complex of caverns and tunnels. Shortly
thereafter, workers began disappearing and now the miners refuse to enter the mine at all. The PCs are brought in to explore the complex and clear out any
monsters. They soon discover the complex is home to a hive of Fomorians/Aspis (your preference) who view the miners as intruders. The PCs can either wipe them
out or perhaps negotiate a truce.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

MacPhail
Necromancer

27 Apr 2008, 18:56 #6

This would be a rock salt or halite mine like the pre-historic ones in Eastern Europe. Tunnels and rooms make it perfect for adventuring. Here's a link I found useful.

I like the Formian idea... don't know much about Aspis though. I also like the vermin thing, although I think I'll try to connect it to a ratman plague
cult. That would be just the sort of thing a city would want to deal with in a hurry, but not anything too challenging for a lower-level party.

Thanks, y'all. Keep 'em coming!
MacPhail

Q1000
Necromancer

27 Apr 2008, 19:32 #7

The interesting thing is that a functional salt mine covers all three bases. Salt can have a value greater than gold itself. It would influence those who wish
to control its trade, the rural economy as a town for the miners would spring up to provide services then the mine itself, a mix of tunnels and natural caves.

Ken

Sykoholic
Lich

27 Apr 2008, 21:30 #8

MacPhail wrote:
I like the Formian idea... don't know much about Aspis though. I also like the vermin thing, although I think I'll try to connect it to a ratman
plague cult. That would be just the sort of thing a city would want to deal with in a hurry, but not anything too challenging for a lower-level party.

Aspis originally appeared in "A1 - Slave Pits of the Undercity" and then re-appeared in the original "Monster Manual II".
They're basically black humanoid insects...well, the drones are, at least.

Hmmm... perhaps my idea for an insane druid with a thing for vermin could instead be the shaman of your ratman plague cult.

Another idea for the delve/mine, instead of the cliche "accidentally broke through into a monster's lair", you could try something like the
mining operation has suffered a series of strange accidents and set-backs. All evidence points to sabotage. When the PCs investigate, the mine caves in
behind them, sealing them inside. The PCs then have to work their way through the mine to find a means of escape. While doing so, they learn that the various
accidents as well as their own predicament is actually the work of some manner of malicious fey... or maybe even that Salt Mephit you mentioned. Instead of
the typical dungeon crawl, it would be more of a game of "cat and mouse" as the PCs try to find a way out while being hounded and harassed by the
fey/mephit.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Dark Mistress
Lich

27 Apr 2008, 22:58 #9

The Aspis was the ants I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember their name.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

For MSG - I am sure you can teach a monkey to scratch his butt, just tell him to watch you. After a couple of hours he should be a master at it.

Mr Baron
Wight

28 Apr 2008, 01:53 #10

Hey Mac!

Urban - I really like the ratmen/were rats and plague priests idea.

Rural - Wolfwere encounters. Human expansion runs into a wolfwere pack.

Delve - How about a mine that a minotaur has taken over, and turned into a maze of traps?